RE: E-M:/ Fwd: DEQ- State Gives OK to Perrier for Water SupplyWells

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Jack, Rita wrote:

...snip...
> population by then. Already, bottled drinking water costs more per
> gallon than gas around the world, and it is bound to become even more
> precious."

This is often repeated, but is true in only special cases. A gallon of
distilled or "spring" water at the supermarket costs less than $1. Yes,
*some* trade-named bottled water may cost more per gallon than does gas
from a pump, but bottled (or, more often, canned) gasoline costs more than
most bottled water, per gallon.

A more balanced comparison would be the cost of gasoline and the cost
of water at a gas station, when used to fill your own containers.

> And we need to make sure our legislators know how precious it is to
> those of us who live here, too. -Rita.

Yes, this is important, but one must avoid contrived comparisons with
other commodities.

--Rane L. Curl