Re: E-M:/ sediment kills trout

Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>

I am not aware of any jurisdiction that approves a septic system without room for a second drain field - if that occurred it is very unusual

>>> "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org> 08/17/01 02:31PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

Patricia - from what I hear from a reliable source, the Caledonia Township Board recently approved another development on the banks of the Thornapple River.  According to this individual, these homes will be on lots of less than one acre and will have no sewer or water.  Each lot will have its own septic and well.  I forget how many homes and how small the lots were, but I can remember the discussion was that these lots are too small to ever support more than one drainfield.  And just where do you think the septage will go once the drainfield fails?

I think it's time that we wake some people up when it comes to planning in the Thornapple River area before it is too late to save the river.
Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk/Watershed Administrator

>>> "thornapple river" <thornapple@hotmail.com> 08/15/01 02:54PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "thornapple river" <thornapple@hotmail.com>

It doesn't seem like bad planning, it IS bad planning. The decision to
locate the SouthBelt exchange right over the Thornapple River has been
beyond me all along. It is a bad planning monument to the people who made
the decision; in fact, we should find out who, exactly, made that decision,
so they can be  recorded in history as the responsible parties.

In the Grand Rapids press, the contractor was quoted as saying "It was
unforseeable" that sediment would ruin the trout pond. The thing is, it WAS
forseeable. The citizen watchdogs in the area foresaw the potential problems
with this mining venture, and were watching and waiting for this kind of
thing to happen on this site. Sure enough, it did. It was entirely
predictable.

Also forseeable was the progressive stormwater and sediment destruction of
another trout pond in another location in Caledonia, and so was the release
of tons of sediment this year into the Thornapple River from the various
tributaries and from developments along the banks, every time it rained.

As a matter of fact, it is actually "seeable". Come on down to 'Donie and
take a personal tour. Or come to the township meeting tonight and see the
photos. It should prove to be interesting. The meeting is at 7:00 in the
offices on Maple Street.

Patricia Pennell

>CALEDONIA TWP. -- A contractor working on the South Beltline highway
>project
>is pledging to restore a trout pond in Caledonia Township, which was ruined
>by clay sediment discharged from a controversial mining operation next
>door.

What I can't figure out about this project is why they chose to
construct the beltline/I-96 interchange on top of the Thornapple
River....that seems like bad planning in the extreme....