E-M:/ Campus Ecology Fellowships - Sept. 15 deadline

Enviro-Mich message from "David Ross" <ROSS@nwf.org>

~~~~~~~~~
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
NWF's CAMPUS ECOLOGY FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM

DUE...SEPTEMBER 15TH!
Next deadline...November 15th!

ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM:
National Wildlife Federation's Campus Ecology Fellowship Program offers a nationally recognized opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to pursue their vision of an ecologically sustainable future. Through tangible projects to green their campuses and communities, Fellows gain practical experience in the conservation field and first-hand knowledge of the challenges and opportunities inherent in conservation efforts.  Fellows also receive project support, a modest grant and recognition of their accomplishments.  Students, faculty, staff and members of the broader community stand to gain as Campus Ecology Fellows assist with the research, design, and implementation of projects that help strike a better balance between people and nature on the campus and beyond.

During the 2000-2001 academic year, Fellowship projects ranged from campus-wide environmentally sound purchasing initiatives to native landscaping and habitat restoration on campus and adjacent lands.  In addition to making concrete strides towards a more environmentally sustainable campus, several of these fellows attribute these experiences to great job opportunities in the conservation field, securing such positions with the California Governors Sustainable Building Task Force and the Trust for Public Land.

PERSPECTIVES...HEAR IT FROM THOSE INVOLVED:
"My fellowship gave me the seed money to get the sustainable campus initiative started at the University of Minnesota."
-Suzanne Savanick, Fall 2000 Fellow, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

"The NWF Fellowship programs are a great opportunity for students to expand their knowledge on an environmental issue.  However, the greater asset of the Fellowship is the experience gained in selling the idea to a diverse population then implementing the idea."
-April Haight, recycling/energy conservation manager, Morehead State University, project advisor

"I've seen people who were dead set against an ideological vision turn around and support specific, small scale projects that are the first steps in realizing that same vision.  I've realized how important specific, tangible plans are in working with administration and even students. The plan may change, but just having one inspires trust, confidence, and a sense that what you are suggesting are real, physical changes.
-Deborah A. Scott, Spring 2001 Fellow, Goshen College

"In beginning a local and organic food initiative at my college I realized that students, administration and faculty were all concerned about their food supply in relation to the environment, health, the local economy and global social justice.  What I did not realize was the openness toward creative alternatives, like seasonal menus and farmers market produce as actual practices for these important issues on campus.  My fellowship allowed me to cultivate this mindfulness into daily practice."
-Daniel Feinberg, Spring 2001, Occidental College

APPLICATION INFORMATION:
Visit www.nwf.org/campusecology/fellowships to access the grant guidelines and an application form, or download the attached PDF Fellowship brochure.  This site also contains the 2000-2001 Fellows' project descriptions, sample winning proposals and project ideas.

CONTACT:
Kathy Cacciola
Coordinator, Campus Ecology
National Wildlife Federation
11100 Wildlife Center Drive
Reston, Virginia 20190-5362
Phone: 703.438.6318
Fax: 703.438.6468
cacciola@nwf.org
www.nwf.org/campusecology

ABOUT NATIONAL WILDLIFE FEDERATION'S CAMPUS ECOLOGY PROGRAM:
Since 1989, Campus Ecology has assisted students, faculty and administrators in transforming colleges and universities into learning and teaching models of environmental sustainability, by assisting with the design and implementation of practical conservation projects, providing training and incentives, and helping to document and share lessons learned nationally and beyond.  For more information on Campus Ecology, including Training Clinics, Resources and Publications, On-line Campus Environmental Yearbooks and a national survey of environmental performance, visit www.nwf.org/campusecology.

NOTE:  PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS NOTICE TO ALL INTERESTED PARTIES.  TO FACILITATE OUTREACH TRACKING, PLEASE NOTIFY KATHY CACCIOLA (cacciola@nwf.org) AS TO WHERE THIS NOTICE HAS BEEN DISTRIBUTED.  YOUR ASSISTANCE IS APPRECIATED.  THANK YOU!

We're moving! Effective 9/17/01:
National Wildlife Federation
213 West Liberty, Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1322