From: Thomas Rohrer
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 2:27 PM
Subject: E-M:/ Water Enforcement Report

Enviro-Mich message from "Thomas Rohrer" <ROHRERT@state.mi.us>

Dave Dempsey posted a note (copy below) that referenced a GAO study on the effectiveness of water enforcement programs.  I have not had time yet to read the entire 100 page GAO report, however, the detailed audits were not done on Michigan's program.  The GAO looked at North Carolina, Utah and California.  Data from these states served as the focus for their report.

In Michigan, we have had 268 cases settled by litigation or administrative action from 1991-2001.

These cases resulted in:

1.) Recovery of  $2,650,288.78 in State and Local agency costs of compliance actions.

2.) $11,266,040.00 in Civil Penalties.

3.)  Supplemental Environmental Projects valued at $5,852,300.00

4.) Recovered Natural Resource Damages of $28,307,844.83

5.)  Corrective programs to improve water quality and prevent future violations with an estimated cost of $1.4 Billion.

...and we will be the first to admit that there is much more to do.  We currently have some forty cases in the hopper.

Thanks,

TOM

<Original posting by Dave Dempsey>
Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davemec@voyager.net>

Michigan is one of many states whose water pollution enforcement is lacking,
according to a new report by the U.S. EPA Inspector General.

http://www.epa.gov/oigearth/audit/list901/finalenfor.pdf

At the same time, the Washington Post reports on a new U.S. General
Accounting Office report that cautions against a Bush Administration
proposal to reduce EPA enforcement efforts and turn over resources and the
lead role in much environmental enforcement to the states.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49330-2001Aug22.html

Dave Dempsey
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette, Suite 2A