E-M:/ Tannery Bay cleanup delay outrages Whitehall, MI, Muskegon County

Enviro-Mich message from HAMILTREEF@aol.com

The public trust of White Lake has been violated so many times in the last 10
years by Governor Engler and his friends that the local residents are very
distrustful of the DEQ as puppets of the governor.  That is most polite way I
can write this.  All of the local coffee shops in the White Lake area use
much stronger profanity to describe the DEQ process as controlled by Governor
Engler.  White Lake in Muskegon County is listed with the EPA as a Area of
Concern (AOC) and we will be updating our Remedial Action Plan (RAP) later
this year.

Note what the news article did not print.  The 11,000 cubic yards Genesco
wants to take out of White Lake is exactly what is needed for the 65 condo
development as fill in the Genesco/tannery wetlands (remember Love Canal).
This will leave 87% of the contaminated sediment in White Lake.

The millions of dollars profit from the condos will more than cover the meger
$2-million Genesco wants to spend for the contaminated sediment as wetland
fill material.  The $8-million is closer to the real cost to take out the
83,000 cubic yards of contaminated sediment in White Lake that the
Genesco/Whitehall Leather Company is honestly responsible for.

The DEQ had a decision all set to order Genesco to take out the full 83,000
cubic yards, but Governor Engler sent word to stop the DEQ action while he
cut his secret meeting deals to get the polluting Genesco off the hook and
help his Republican developer friends.

<A
HREF="http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010829mangermnewm.frm

">Tannery Bay cleanup delay outrages city</A>
http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010829mangermnewm.frm

<A
HREF="http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010829mangertimemnewm

.frm">Leather company timeline</A>
http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010829mangertimemnewm.frm

Tom Hamilton, Fishery Biologist, White Lake Association