E-M:/ Fwd-DNR - DNR SEEKS MANISTEE RIVER VOLUNTEERS

Enviro-Mich message from "Jack, Rita" <ritaj@umflint.edu>

----- Forwarded message from Julee Hasbany <hasbanyj@STATE.MI.US>
-----
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:31:00 -0400
From: Julee Hasbany <hasbanyj@STATE.MI.US>
Subject: DNR SEEKS MANISTEE RIVER VOLUNTEERS
To: DNRWIRE@listserv.state.mi.us

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 29 AUG 01
CONTACT:  Sgt. Nick Heary, 231-775-9727

DNR SEEKS MANISTEE RIVER VOLUNTEERS

LANSING--The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is
recruiting citizens who live in the Cadillac-Manistee area
to assist DNR Conservation Officers in monitoring the fall
salmon runs on the Manistee River near Tippy Dam.
"We are asking all citizens who have an interest in
protecting our salmon fishery to take our brief training
course, then work in teams near the dam during peak periods,
especially the first two weekends in October," said Sgt.
Nick Heary, DNR Law Enforcement Division.
The mandatory training sessions will be held Thursday, Sept.
6, from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and on Saturday, Sept. 8, from
noon to 3 p.m. at the Manistee Regional Math and Science
Center, 1070 Nursery Road, Wellston.
Citizen volunteers have successfully assisted conservation
officers to help deter illegal activity in other areas of
the state, and the Tippy Dam effort is being organized to
reduce illegal activities such as snagging, improperly
hooked fish and other violations.
Heary said the average shift is four hours and approximately
140 volunteers will be needed to fill all the scheduled
slots. "If this initial effort proves successful, we may
organize a similar program to coincide with the spring
steelhead runs," he said.
To register for a training session and for more information,
contact the DNR Operations Service Center in Cadillac at
231-775-9727.

###

To remove your name from this e-mail list, send an e-mail
message from your own e-mail address to
listserv@listserv.cnoc.state.mi.us with this in the body of
your message:
     signoff dnrwire
To get back on the list, send an e-mail message from your
own e-mail address to listserv@cnoc.state.mi.us
with this in the body of your message:
     subscribe dnrwire your name   (Use an alias, if you
prefer.)
There's also an electronic form on the DNR home page at
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/dept/listsubs.htm

----- End forwarded message -----