[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]

E-M:/ Hilt's Landing Nature Area



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enviro-Mich message from HAMILTREEF@aol.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article in the Muskegon Chronicle picked up on my comments at a recent 
Whitehall city council meeting.  I now have a question and some information.

http://mu.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010901mgolfcoursemnewm.frm

The Hilt's Landing Nature Area was purchased in 1979 with the Natural 
Resources Land Trust Fund 75% and the Hilt family donation for the other 25%. 
 Is it legal for Muskegon County Administrator Bednarek to violate the public 
trust intent of the NRLTF and just take the land for his private developer 
buddies?  Bednarek mentioned something about a 'reverter' to nulify the 
intent of the property purchse.  I did not expect the NRLTF to be buying land 
for deveolpers to destroy just for their personal profit.

Also, you should know that Frank Bednarek was recently fired by the county 
commissoners to end his career at 29-years (deliberately not at 30-years with 
full benefits).  He is now a bitter lame duck rushing to help develop the 
property for his developer friend.  He also repeats that the property was 
intended to be a destination resort.  That is absolutely false.  Humm....I'm 
wondering if this connected to his future employment after the property is 
developed?  

The property has always been used by the local residents for their only 
public access fishing (salmon, steelhead, and suckers), for rustic tent 
camping, nature hikes, and a high spectacular view over the White River 
natural rivers zoning where Bednarek stated the condos will be built.
Tom Hamilton, Fishery Biologist, White River Watershed 


==============================================================
ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at
http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/

Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For info, send email to
majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message body of  "info enviro-mich"
==============================================================