E-M:/ Virus alert, don't open "Fwd:GeorgeP"

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Beth Doyle <marybeth@ecocenter.org>

Apologies to people that get this message more than once.

I am apparently a carrier of a virus. This new virus can read an address
book and send itself on even if the attachment isn't opened (and in fact, I
never received the original message.)   The sender of the message with the
virus won't even be me, it just uses my addresses to send itself on.

So don't open any attachments from a message with the subject "FWD: GeorgeP"

If you DO open the attachment, do not shut your computer off, but follow
the directions below.

The website to go to is

www.symantec.com/avcenter

this is the company that makes Norton AntiVirus.

I believe the worm that is attached is W32.Magistr.39921@mm

 From the description this worm only does damage to PCs and not Macs,
however, the worm can be sent on from listings in a Eudora address
book.

People who receive the virus should NOT shutdown or reboot their
computer as any changes made by the worm will go into effect and it
will be much harder to deal with removing the worm.  They should go
to the web site and connect to the description of the above virus.
they should print the page that includes the instructions and then
download the repair tool and follow their printed instructions.  They
will have to close all other programs including their email and web
browser.

Mary Beth Doyle, MPH
Environmental Health Project
Ecology Center