Re: E-M:/ air quality

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <WilliamTobler@CrittersWoods.org>

Paula,
I realize your question was pertaining to "air pollution" in the normal
sense.  And I don't know the answer to THAT question.  But do not miss the
additional angle of noise pollution.  And THAT has been DRAMATICALLY
affected.

When we moved to our farm in SE corner of Washtenaw County in 1978, we could
enjoy the countryside.  We could step outside and hear the sounds of nature.
Crickets, frogs, birds,  the sounds of barnyard animals..., the natural
peace and quiet, occasionally disturbed by the barking of a distant
neighbor's dog.

Sometime about 10 years ago, the flight patterns at Metro Airport were
changed to benefit the suburbs of Dearborn. Now, our skys are forever
destroyed by the roar of planes, often so loud that one cannot even talk to
the person standing next to you.  It is a really marked difference.  It is
virtually impossible to go outside now with the intent of making an audio
recording of a sound-of-nature because the roar of the planes is nearly
constant throughout the day.  Every day.

We're some 20 miles from Metro Airport, and can hardly look forward to the
opening of its expansion.

With the airport completely shut down on Tuesday, the sound of silence was
eerie, because it has been so many years without it. It is a sound that I
could once again fall in love with.

Bill