Re: E-M:/ Farmland tour

Enviro-Mich message from "Pete Pasterz" <ppasterz@pplant.msu.edu>

Speaking as one who understands the toll of the energy of volunteers who put together such "Tours", why pose this as an either/or??   Do both, if you've got the time!   Learn as much as possible about what's wrong, and what the alternatives are, then act on those alternatives.    Most of the Sierra Club "Tours" have emphasized both the "what's wrong" as well as the "what's right".

Aretta, I'm not sure what part of the State you're from, but as for the Central Michigan Group of Sierra Club, we will NOT be hosting such a" tour de sprawl" this year in the Lansing area, but rather are working on other initiatives offering alternatives to our current policies [or lack thereof]which promote sprawl.

Pete Pasterz, Chair, Central Michigan Group
Sierra Club

>>> "Jennifer Vincent" <jvincent@farmland.org> 09/17/01 02:56PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Jennifer Vincent" <jvincent@farmland.org>

Aretta -
Rather than touring what not to do, jump on board the FINAL Ultimate
Farmland
Preservation Tour and learn about what options Michigan has for Smart
Growth,
farmland protection and urban redevelopment. American Farmland Trust has
hosted
seven of these tours and educated more than 850 on what other states,
specifically
Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, have been doing for the last 20
years.
These "leaders", which include local officials, planners, state
legislators,
farmers and others, are now reaching critical masses and we're helping
communities
establish better planning policies, land use plans and farmland
protection
programs.
The next tour is April 4-8, 2002. It's truly an intensive, fun and
educational
tour. It's incredible to see the strides these states have made and it
brings hope
for Michigan. Farmland protection has economic, environmental and social
benefits
for everyone.
I'd be glad to send you a brochure and more information on this if
you're
interested. (517) 324-9276
-- Jennifer Vincent
American Farmland Trust