Re: E-M:/ Public Trust Doctrine

Enviro-Mich message from "Stewart Freeman" <freestew@pilot.msu.edu>

   Attorney General Emeritus Frank J. Kelley issued a legal opinion on January
27, 1969, fully interpreting 1963 Mich Const Art IV, Section 52. After a full
review of the debates at the Constitutional Convention, General Kelley
concluded that Art IV, Sec 52 declares that Michigan's public policy is that
the air, water, and other natural resources of the State are to be protected
from pollution, impairment, and destruction and to this extent the Constitution
prohibits the legislature from enacting any law which would violate the
constitutionally declared public policy. The opinion may be located at
1969-1970 OAG p. 17 et seq (No. 4590).
   Hope this helps....
   --Stew Freeman