E-M:/ AP reports Schregardus withdraws nomination

Enviro-Mich message from Lydia H Fischer <lydfisch@mindspring.com>

A small measure of good news today...

Bush's Nominee for EPA Withdraws
By Associated Press

September 18 2001, 1:26 AM PDT

WASHINGTON -- Faced with strong opposition from majority Democrats and a
committee chairman promising to give him a hard time, President Bush's
nominee to head enforcement at the Environment Protection Agency has
withdrawn his name.

"It is clear to me ... that my nomination will not be considered by the
U.S. Senate in a timely manner," Donald Schregardus said in a letter Monday
to Bush.

Sen. James Jeffords, I-Vt., chairman of the Senate Environmental and Public
Works Committee, had promised to spend months scrutinizing Schregardus'
record as head of Ohio's EPA before allowing a Senate vote on the nomination.

Schregardus said in his letter that he remains proud of his record, which
included 17 years with the federal EPA and eight years as director of the
Ohio's EPA.

White House spokeswoman Anne Womack said Monday that Schregardus had not
been asked by the administration to withdraw his name.

The Senate panel Jeffords chairs approved Schregardus' nomination to be
EPA's assistant administrator for enforcement and compliance on Aug. 1,
with dissenting votes from four Democrats.

A month later, EPA released a report faulting the Ohio agency when it was
headed by Schregardus for not implementing part of a federal acid rain
program that would have required power plants in the state to spend
millions of dollars on new pollutant abating technology.

Some Senate Democrats and environmental groups seized on the report as
ammunition in their campaign to defeat Schregardus' nomination.  Sens.
Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., had said they would
block a vote by the full Senate on Schregardus. They cited his efforts to
win the dismissal of lawsuits by several states to force power plants to
reduce pollutants blamed for acid rain in the Northeast.

On the Net:

 EPA Ohio review: <http://www.epa.gov/region5/ohioreview>
 Copyright 2001 Associated Press