Re: E-M:/ Conservation Summit Update

At 09:21 AM 9/19/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from jamesmec@voyager.net
>
>Included below you will find the latest version of the Conservation
>Summit - Agenda for 2002.  We will continue to accept comments via e-
>mail on the document through the end of the end of the day (9/19).

In addition to power plant controls at the level of selective
catalytic reduction or selective non-catalytic reduction on
power plants, Michigan enviros should also be calling for
"Stage II Vapor Recovery" at all gasoline stations in major
metropolitan areas of the state.

Emissions from refueling vehicles is a major uncontrolled
emission source in our state.   I haven't seen the figures
for several years, but if my memory is correct, uncontrolled
gasoline vapor emissions from refueling vehicles at gas
stations causes about 10-15 tons per day of volatile organic
compound emissions per day in the 7 county metro Detroit
area.

This is a very significant amount of needless uncontrolled
emissions.

The second comment is that mercury is the only persistent,
bioaccumulative toxicant mentioned in the policy.  The problem
is broader than this and policies should be advocated that
deal with all such materials.

My third comment is that we should call for a statewide ban
on burning of trash and yardwaste.  This is a very significant source
of toxic air pollution and poses large risks for adjacent neighbors
with respiratory diseases.

Finally, the proposed policy contains no statements at all (unless
I missed it) concerning the oil drilling in the great lakes issue.