E-M:/ Study on cost of developed land vs farmland

Enviro-Mich message from Tom & Anne Woiwode <woiwode@voyager.net>

The below article from Dave Poulson at Booth Newspapers was noted in the
GLIN listing of articles, but I wanted to assure people see it.  The study
by American Farmland Trust repeats the findings found around the nation,
making it clear that it costs TAXPAYERS more to convert open lands into
developments. The response from the homebuilders is that the development
brings other economic activity into the area so that you can get some bucks
to repair and maintain the roads.  Of course, if you didn't NEED the road in
the first place, you wouldn't need the repair money, and those bucks could
be spent elsewhere. This argument is akin to the joke about poor business
people, that "we lose money on every unit we make, but we make up the
difference in volumn" -- funny, it doesn't work that way. But more
importantly, it points out that the homebuilders have a single solution to
every problem -- sprawl solves it all, apparently.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20010918l919farm.frm
Tom, Anne, Nate and Pete Woiwode
5088 Powell Road
Okemos, MI 48864