E-M:/ Reports of a "black substance" in drinking water from Mertro Detroit communities

Enviro-Mich message from "Brad Wilson" <metrodetroit@cleanwater.org>

Clean Water Fund has received a number of reports from Metro Detroit
(Warren, Shelby Twp., and Troy) residents who are complaining of a "black
substance" in their drinking water.  These reports were received in late
August and early September.  This "black substance" manifests itself
in the faucets, toilets and shower.  The reason I am using quotes around the
word black substance is because we have not yet been able to determine what
the material is as of yet.  We currently have 2 samples that we would like
to test.  We also have a need to test more samples from six different
locations.

Clean Water Fund has asked the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department,
the water supplier of this drinking water, to test the samples,
astonishingly they are
unwilling to help.

Neither CWF, nor the residents have the resources to spend to test the
samples from these sources.  We are currently looking for no cost/low cost
water testing facilities for this "black substance."

Has anyone else heard reports of people with a "black substance" in their
drinking water or know of a facility that may be able to help in this
situation?

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

Brad Wilson
Macomb County Community Organizer
Clean Water Fund
38875 Harper