Re: E-M:/ Reports of a "black substance" in drinking water from Mertro Detroit communities

Enviro-Mich message from William Tobler <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

Those of us who live in SE Washtenaw and Monroe County with well
water frequently have to deal with black substances in the water.
There are at least two sources that I know of. First, we live in
an area shared by stone quarries that extract and waste huge amounts
of aquifer water. Further, they blast on a semi-weekly basis. Both
create "disturbances" in the aquifer which causes black goop to be
in the water.  Some call it "black sulfur", but I also have seen
signs of hydrocarbon films in the water as well.

The second source of black substances is from the hydrogen sulfide
in the the water. As the water table has fallen dramtically in the
past seven years (50 ft), the concentration of hydrogen sulfide has
apparently risen. My nose and eyes tell me that it has. The hydrogen
sulfide reacts with the insides of copper pipes and creates a black
substance that does not adhere well to the pipe. It comes off with
an appearance and texture of a black grease. Any kind of disturbance
to the pipe, inside or out, will scour it off, leading to plugging
of sink strainers.  A copper pipe that is alternately exposed to
water with dissolved hydrogen sulfide and with air can be expected
to pinhole within a year or two from this chemical reaction.

Third, there is a "sulfur eating bacteria" which inhabits the toilet
tank, and it creates masses of a very unpleasant looking, gelatinous
slime. Also, the water reacts with and stains the porcelain of sinks
and toilets, forming a brownish coating that is not easily removed
with ordinary household cleansers.

I presume you are talking about municipal water, where these sulfur
related issues might not be realistic.

In previous years, I remember Monroe County municipal water has had
problems with zebra mussels and control, and there were disruptions
in water quality at this time of year.  Also, a couple of years ago,
YCUA (Ypsilanti) customers complained that the water suddenly tasted
like "dead raccoon", and YCUA assured its customers that they were
sure that Detroit Water was doing whatever tests were appropriate.

Bill