E-M:/ Land Use Conference October 20

Ecology Center

How Should Washtenaw Grow?
A Conference on Land Use, Farmland Preservation, and Water Quality
Saturday, October 20
8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Washington Street Education Center
500 E. Washington
Chelsea

Washtenaw County is one of Michigan's fastest growing counties. Local communities are searching for tools to manage growth responsibly. "How Should Washtenaw Grow?" will offer citizens concerned about land use some tools to address growth and protect the environment.

Prof. Joan Nassauer from the School of Natural Resources will give a keynote address, "New Ecologies for Cities and Farms: Helping People and the River."
She will discuss ways to reduce the impact of development on the watershed through reduced use of grass and pavement. Prof. Nassauer has done a citizen preference survey in Washtenaw County and will share the results. This will be followed by a panel discussion on "Saving Farmland in Washtenaw County: Building a Winning Coalition," to talk about next steps in farmland preservation.

After networking at lunch, we will have workshops on individual issues, such as wetlands ordinances and watershed protection (Laura Rubin, Huron River Watershed Council), stormwater management (Drain Commissioner Janis Bobrin), and farmland preservation(Jack Smiley, Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy; Scott Everett, American Farmland Trust).

Cosponsors include:
Washtenaw County, Huron River Watershed Council, Washtenaw County Drain Commissioner's Office, Washtenaw County Department of Environment and Infrastructure Services, Sierra Club Huron Valley Group, Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy, and Washtenaw Land Trust.

8:30 a.m. Registration
9:00 Introduction and opening remarks
9:30 a.m. Keynote address: Joan Nassauer, "New Ecologies for Cities and Farms: Helping People and the River"
10:30-10:45 Break
10:45-12 Panel: The Future of Agriculture in Washtenaw County: Building a Winning Coalition (Dale Lesser, Dexter Township farmer; Barry Lonik, Washtenaw Land Trust; Rob Ewing, Washtenaw County Realtor)
12:00-1:00 Lunch
1:00-2:00 Breakout sessions
__Watershed and wetlands protection
__Better stormwater management
__Farmland preservation techniques
__How to get involved in the township planning process
2-2:30 concluding business, organizing for next steps

Directions: Take I-94 to exit 159 (Chelsea/Manchester). Turn north on S. Main
(M52). Take S. Main 1.5 miles and turn right on VanBuren, left on East, and then make an immediate right onto Washington. Community Education Center is .4 mile up on right. After entering parking lot, follow signs to Community Education Office (Main Building).

To cover the costs of the conference we are asking for a $15 registration donation, which will include lunch. (Scholarships are available for those unable to pay.) For further information contact Liz Brater, (734) 761-3186 x121, lizb@ecocenter.org

Land Use Conference Registration Form

Name___________________________________________________________

Address_________________________________________________________

Phone_____________________Email_________________________________

I enclose $15 for registration and lunch. I I would like a scholarship.

I would like to volunteer to help with the conference.

Please return form to Liz Brater, Ecology Center, 117 N. Division, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.

Liz Brater
Land Use Director
Ecology Center
117 N. Division