E-M:/ FW: Senate Great Lakes Conservation Task Force

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@prodigy.net>

-----Original Message-----
From: Senator Gary Peters [mailto:SenGPeters@senate.state.mi.us]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 3:48 PM
To: aschor@senate.state.mi.us
Subject: Senate Great Lakes Conservation Task Force

Dear Friends,

I am writing to alert you about the Senate bi-partisan Great Lakes
Conservation Task Force to which I was appointed.  This task force is
focusing on many issues, including directional drilling under our Great
Lakes.

As you know, last Thursday my Democratic colleagues and I attempted to
discharge SB 9, my bill to ban directional drilling under the Great
Lakes.  The Republicans defeated the discharge, saying they did not want
to discuss the issue since the Task Force would be gathering public
input on the issue during upcoming scheduled hearings.  As such, I hope
that you can attend one of the upcoming hearings to testify as to your
beliefs about directional drilling under the Great Lakes.  Republican
Senators indicated that they would take up SB 9 once they heard from the
people at these task force hearings.   As such, it is important that
supporters of a drilling ban  attend and testify.

For your information, the hearing schedule is:

Monday    Monroe Community College
October 1, 2001   1555 Raisinville Road
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.   Monroe, MI  48161
    Administration Building
    Dining Hall

Monday    Roseville Public Library
October 8, 2001        29977 Gratiot Avenue
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.   Roseville, MI 48066

Thursday    Northern Michigan University
October 18, 2001   1401 Presque Isle Avenue
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.   Marquette, MI 49855-5302
    Don H. Bottum University Center
    Ontario Room, 2nd Floor

Tuesday    City of Port Huron
October 30, 2001   Municipal Office Center
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.   100 McMorran Blvd.
    Port Huron, MI  48060

Monday    Location to be determined
November 5, 2001   St. Joseph, MI
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Monday    Saginaw Valley State University
November 26, 2001   2250 Pierce Road
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.   University Center, MI  48710
    Curtis Center

I hope to see you at one of the meetings... and I hope that you will
spread the word to friends and family.

Sincerely,

Gary Peters
State Senator