E-M:/ Bonior press release on Romulus well

Enviro-Mich message from Brad van Guilder <bradvg@ecocenter.org>

For Immediate Release
October 1, 2001
Contact: 810-469-3232

KEEP OUR NEIGHBORHOODS - AND AIRPORTS - SAFE FROM TOXIC WASTE

Democratic Whip David Bonior to Hold News Conference at Deep
Injection Well Site in Romulus

Calls on FAA to ban hazardous waste facilities too close to airports

	Democratic Whip David Bonior (D-Mt. Clemens) will hold a
10:30 a.m. news conference Tuesday at the proposed deep injection
well site in Romulus.  Bonior will call on the Federal Aviation
Administration to ban hazardous waste facilities within a reasonable
distance from airports.

	"Placing hazardous waste facilities near our major airports
is an unnecessary and unacceptable risk -- especially when there are
safe alternatives to disposing of such hazardous waste," Bonior said.
"All Americans want to ensure our families, communities and airports
are safe.  I encourage the FAA to ban all new commercial hazardous
waste facilities within distances from U.S. airports."

	Bonior, who staunchly opposes the well, has also called on
EPA Administrator Christie Todd Whitman to personally visit Romulus.
Activists, community leaders and police and fire personnel will
gather at the well site at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow, Tuesday Oct. 2. The
well site is located on 28470 Citrin Drive near Interstate 94 and
Inkster Road near the Romulus-Taylor border.

Notes:

Directions:
 From the West: Take I-94 East to Middlebelt Road.  Take Middlebelt
Road South to Wick Road.  Take Wick Road East to Inkster Road.  Take
Inkster Road North to Citrin Drive.
 From the East:  Take I-94 West to Inkster Road.  Take Inkster Road
South to Citrin Drive.

Text of letter to FAA to follow.