E-M:/ Bonior letter to FAA on Romulus well

Enviro-Mich message from Brad van Guilder <bradvg@ecocenter.org>

The following is the text of Congressman David Boinir's letter to the FAA.

Administrator Jane Garvey
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
800 Independence Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20591

Dear Administrator Garvey:

	Thank you for your leadership during this period of national
crisis.  It is a very difficult time for everyone.  Our prayers go
out to the victims and the to the families of those killed or injured
in the horrific events of September 11th, 2001.

	the terrorist attacks of September 11th have prompted a
national conversation about the safety of our airports.  All
Americans want to take steps to ensure our families, communities and
airports are safe.  In that vein, I encourage the FAA to ban all new
commercial hazardous waste facilities within a reasonable radius from
all major U.S. airports.  Placing hazardous waste facilities near our
major airports is an unnecessary and unacceptable risk -- especially
when there are safe disposal alternatives.

	In the Detroit metro area, for example, the State of Michigan
has recently granted a permit to Environmental Disposal Systems, Inc.
(EDS) to dispose of hazardous waste in a deep injection will in
Romulus.  The proposed location for this well is within 1/2 mile of
Detroit Metropolitan Airport.  It is also directly in the flight path
of the same runway from which Northwest Flight 255 tragically
departed in 1987.  In fact, Flight 255 crashed within 1/4 mile of the
proposed injection well.

	Up to 400,000 gallons of hazardous waste per day can be
injected into the proposed EDS well.  Semi tankers and rail cars will
routinely be lined up above the surface to dump some of the most
toxic chemicals known to humankind.  In a matter of seconds, a plane
taking off from Detroit Metro could impact this hazardous waste with
catastrophic and irreparable consequences.

	The EDS case deserves quick and serious attention.  As the
agency charged with ensuring the safety of our airports, the FAA can
and should intervene to protect the safety of our families and our
communities.  That is why I am calling on the FAA to ban all new
commercial hazardous waste facilities within reasonable distances
from US. airports.

	I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your
consideration.

Sincerely,

David E. Bonior
Member of Congress