RE: E-M:/ LIVESTOCK FACTORY POLLUTION SECRECY BILL IN HOUSE COMMITTEE NEXT TH...

Chuck:  I have heard nothing so far from anyone about why this abridgement of the Freedom of Information Act access to this information has been proposed.  And rather than speculate, since you have brought some of the key players in the MDA into this via your cc list, I hope they will take the opportunity to respond to your question.  Anne Woiwode
-----Original Message-----
From: Cubbagec@aol.com [mailto:Cubbagec@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 1:15 PM
To: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Cc: CreaghK@state.mi.us; WyantD9@state.mi.us; Pontzv@state.mi.us
Subject: Re: E-M:/ LIVESTOCK FACTORY POLLUTION SECRECY BILL IN HOUSE COMMITTEE NEXT TH...

Anne,
Thanks for the thoughts on HB 5013.  Most of you know that I have retired as the MDA Sc Advisor (Jan 2000), but continue to provide input to MDA on a variety of issues.  I have asked MDA directly for their view of the need for the bill and the secrecy provision.

You know that I have always supported our good buddy T. Jefferson (Sept 28, 1820) when he wrote: If you believe the people are not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion".  It made sense then and even more sense now.

The American agriculture industry needs to to spend $ and energy on making sure the public is well informed so that thethe public will make informed choices.  An informed public will share informed opinions with their state representatives.  Agriculture has nothing to fear from a public that understands what choices they are making.  It is MDA, Farm Bureau and the ag industry's responsibility to make sure that public is well informed.  It is a giant mistake to even make it appear that access to public welfare and safety information is being limited.  I am sure it is not as simple as it may seem, but on the other hand, the bottom line about believing in people's right to know and their ability to make right decisions when they do know, is pretty straight forward.

Anne, do you know what the arguments are for limiting access to the "ag plans"?
Regards,
Chuck