E-M:/ Out of Desolation, A Drumbeat of Hope

Enviro-Mich message from Keith Schneider <keith@mlui.org>

It is impossible to conceive of a human act as wholly desolate and sadistic
as the terror attack on New York and Washington. But if something good has
come out of this paroxysm of grief and alarm it is this: Americans are
reconsidering what's really relevant, and what is less so, in our national
life.
	In interviews this month, I found environmental activists, writers, and
leaders from around the nation cautiously shared a common thought: That
despite all the horror of September 11, and all the hardship the attack and
our own military response will likely produce, there is nevertheless cause
for considered optimism for environmentalism and environmental progress.
	Read the piece here: http://www.mlui.org/
	It's good to have something to useful to think about in a time of hurt.
	Thanks so much,
	Keith Schneider, program director, Michigan Land Use Institute