E-M:/ Now Eagles

At 08:29 PM 10/21/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Evans <imagine@bignetnorth.net>
>
>Also, to make matters worse, they reproduce at a high rate and because
>they don't
>have a natural predator, there's nothing to keep their numbers in control.

Just as I thought when I saw these masses of beetles
hanging out....it all gets back to illicit insect sex...

But on a much more positive note.....

I grew up in a time when you never saw eagles in
Michigan because of the pesticide-related eggshell thinning
so much reduced their numbers.

So in my adulthood I am just utterly
delighted to regularly see bald-headed eagles flying around
while driving up US 127 and I-75 north of Harrison.

However I was stunned to see about a month ago a bald-headed
eagle hunting over the Tittabawassee River about 200 feet
north of the M-46 bridge in suburban Saginaw...complete with
all of the sprawl and development in that location.

Is it unusual to see these birds this far south and hanging out
in suburban fringes of Michigan?

>When we were in Kalamazoo there would be thousands of them on the outside
>of the
>house.  It's even worse the farther south you go.  A friend just got back from
>Ohio and said she would go outside and there would be swarms of them
>everywhere.
>That's what happens when we introduce non-native species (insect, plant or
>animal).  The native species get choked out and the non-native become totally
>invasive.  You think we'd learn.          ~Monica
>

>William Tobler wrote:

> > Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <WilliamTobler@CrittersWoods.org>
> >
> > Can't we blame MDEQ somehow?  Such nice folks deserve the credit.
> > Anyway, we have thousands of them on the south side of our home.  They now
> > even outnumber the boxelder beetles.  Each opening of the door, lets in 50.
> > And they bite. (Boxelder beetles don't bite.  They just poop.)  Last year
> > was pretty much the first time I've seen them.  Word has it (as Ishgooda
> > explains) that it was another intentional release of an uncontrolled pest.
> > Like the Gypsy Moth.
> >
> > Bill

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com