E-M:/ "pseudo" lady beetles taste bad

Enviro-Mich message from "Karen D. Kendrick-Hands" <kdkhands@voyager.net>

I finally have something to add to this ladybug discussion>

I submit that the beetles lack natural predators because they taste bad.
(Remember the Viceroy Butterfly, the Monarch Butterfly look- alike whose
chief defense is their resemblance to the alleged foul tasting Monarch (
which supposedly tastes bad because its primary diet is the bitter milkweed.

Last fall I visited cousins in West Virginia, where the infestation was
comparable to what you are reporting here. ( it was bad at my cabin in
Clare, too.) Cousin Flossie ( the names have not been changed) related the
following anecdote:

While sitting in church, one of those phony lady bugs dropped on my
shoulder.  Surprised that I was not safe from them even in church, I
silently nudged husband Jim to show him, and dropped it in his
hand.  Without looking down, and assuming it was a "tic-tac" mint, he bit
down hard getting the full benefit of the nasty taste.

Cousin Jimmy later reported it had the foulest, most unpleasant taste he
had ever experienced. Needless to say, after that the sermon seemed even
longer than usual . . . .

It is time to subject imported species to predator taste-testing before we
release anymore uncontrollable insect "helpers."

( remember Alex, you started this thread - ;-)

Karen D. Kendrick-Hands
President
Transportation Riders United
1067 Devonshire Road
Grosse Pointe Park, MI   48230
313.885.7588
fax 313.885.7883
kdkhands@voyager.net

If you don't ask the right questions, you will never get to the right
answers . . . . .

Join TRU today. Check out our NEW webpage at http://www.detroittransit.com