From: LuAnne Kozma <kozma@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:30:25 -0400
To: woiwode@voyager.net
Subject: Novi parkland

We are a group of concerned citizens in Novi questioning the City of Novi's
recent decision to settle a lawsuit against the city by giving away a major
portion of a passive-use city park to the developer who sued the city.  We
haven't been successful in getting the press to understand or divulge the
full story.  A lot of important issues are being missed.  We'd like to have
more people know what's going on.

Just a few of the points being missed:

--the city is misrepresenting the extent of arsenic contamination in order
to call the park land as "unsuitable" for park, and misrepresenting or
misinterpreting the DEQ's remediation recommendations for the limited
contamination.

--the city is stating in the settlement that the park is not designated on
the city's master plan as a park. This statement is false.

--the city is representing the choice as a clear, tax-free alternative to
settling the lawsuit by raising taxes, when in fact there are many stated
and hidden costs that will indeed cost Novi residents millions in tax
dollars; some immediately, others far into the future. Some promises
have been made to the developer that have no cost limit.

We have a website with more of our information.  It is:
http://home.twmi.rr.com/shawofnovi

Does anyone on this listserve have any advice for how to proceed?

Please contact us at:
LuAnne Kozma kozma@msu.edu
Bob Shaw rshaw@steelstructures.com

LuAnne Gaykowski Kozma