E-M:/ Fwd: Congress near ban on Great Lakes drilling

Congress near ban on Great Lakes drilling:  PRnewswire

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=MI&STORY=/www/story/10-31-2001/0001606079&EDATE=Oct+31,+2001

Congress Set to Approve Great Lakes Drilling Moratorium

               Stabenow-Fitzgerald Plan to Preserve Great Lakes
                     In Energy & Water Conference Report;
                    House Could Vote on the Measure Today

    WASHINGTON, Oct. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- A House-Senate conference committee
has approved legislation that includes a plan by U.S. Senators Debbie Stabenow
(D-MI) and Peter G. Fitzgerald (R-IL) placing a two-year moratorium on new oil
and gas drilling in the Great Lakes.  Fitzgerald joined Stabenow and other
lawmakers at a Washington news conference today to call on the House and
Senate to give final approval to the plan, which is included in the fiscal
year 2002 Energy and Water appropriations bill conference report.
    The Stabenow-Fitzgerald measure would bar any new oil and gas drilling in
the Great Lakes for two years in an effort to preserve safe drinking water
supplies for the Great Lakes region.  Stabenow and Fitzgerald, joined by
Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL), unveiled the drilling moratorium proposal last
summer at a news conference on Chicago's Navy Pier.  The Senate gave the plan
its initial approval in July.
    "The Great Lakes contain 20 percent of the world's fresh water, and
millions of Americans rely on the Great Lakes as a primary source of fresh
drinking water.  About 10 million Americans, many of them in Illinois, depend
on Lake Michigan alone for safe drinking water," said Fitzgerald, the lead
Senate co-sponsor of the drilling moratorium.  The Great Lakes Basin --
encompassing parts of Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio,
Pennsylvania, and New York -- is home to more than 33 million people, the
senator said.
    "Protecting and preserving the Great Lakes is critical to our environment
and our regional economy.  Clearly the U.S. needs to boost domestic production
to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, but increased production should not
come at the expense of fresh drinking water," added Fitzgerald.  "I applaud
the conference committee for endorsing the drilling moratorium, and I urge
both the House and Senate to pass the bill and send it to President Bush."
    Fitzgerald explained that the Great Lakes also play a vital role in U.S.
commerce and the regional economies of the Great Lakes states in particular.
In addition to endangering safe drinking water supplies, drilling in the Great
Lakes could also jeopardize regional tourism and recreation, commercial
shipping, and agriculture, he said.
    "This is a great victory not only for those of us who live near the Great
Lakes, but for the entire country," said Stabenow, the lead sponsor of the
moratorium.  "The Great Lakes supply the drinking water for more than 33
million people.  Their beaches and wetlands fuel our tourism industry. Our
waters are too important a resource to risk at the hands of those who
jeopardize their safety for financial gain. I am proud that our diligent
efforts have resulted in such significant protection for the Great Lakes."
    Stabenow continued: "My amendment bans any new oil and gas drilling
operations in the Great Lakes for at least two years, and directs the Army
Corps of Engineers to conduct a study on the long-term effects of drilling on
the Great Lakes."
    None of the eight Great Lakes states currently permits drilling from oil
rigs on the water, but Canada allows some drilling on its side of Lake
Ontario.  Michigan is the only state that currently allows drilling along its
shoreline, and Michigan officials are reportedly moving
forward with plans to begin drilling in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.  Because
the Great Lakes are a shared resource, and drilling in portions of one or more
of the Lakes could risk the water quality and safety of the others, Fitzgerald
said the drilling moratorium is needed to protect fresh water supplies in the
region.
    The Stabenow-Fitzgerald amendment would stop any new drilling in the Great
Lakes for two years and require the Army Corps of Engineers to study the
potential dangers and environmental effects of extracting oil and gas from the
Great Lakes.  After the study is completed and Congress reviews its findings,
lawmakers could extend the moratorium or choose to lift it if the analysis
reveals oil and gas could be extracted from the Great Lakes without
endangering the fresh water supplies or compromising the Great Lakes'
importance to the regional and national economies.
    The House could vote on the Energy and Water bill as early as today, and
Senate action is expected to follow soon.

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project Director

Mackinac Chapter Sierra Club

tel:  810-629-1107