Re: E-M:/ Cougars roaming Michigan

Greetings,

I saw a cougar last fall south of Big Bay.  It crossed a logging road i was
parked on while i was looking at a map and enjoying my lunch.  I was somwhat
off the road and had been there for about an hour when the big cat crossed
the road.  I was very suprised and excited to say the least.  There is no
mistaking the tail of a cougar.

Murray Dailey

Enviro-Mich message from Kirk Riley <rileyki@egr.msu.edu>

Today's Detroit Free Press reports on a resident cougar population in
Michigan's Upper Peninsula and northern Lower Peninsula.

http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/cougar1_20011101.htm

Cougars roaming Michigan
DNA proves at least 20 are still on the prowl
New DNA evidence offers irrefutable proof that cougars roam the woods of
the Upper Peninsula and northern Lower Peninsula. Cougars, also known as
mountain lions, were supposed to have been killed off 95 years ago in
Michigan. Sightings have been reported since then, but no scientific
corroboration had been made.