E-M:/ Re: question

Enviro-Mich message from Christopher Graham <grahamz@umich.edu>

Hi, Michele --

The Michigan Natural Areas Council did agree to endorse the Conservation
Summit Agenda at our meeting yesterday.  We applaud the time and effort
which went into assembling such an agenda.

We are troubled that some complained that the process was not inclusive of
some MEC member organization's concerns.  We share those concerns to the
extent we have seen them.  We would hope the process could be improved in
this regard, if such an effort is repeated in coming years.

If it is repeated, we will become involved and ask for more concerted
attention to natural features and natural areas, to invasive plants and
plant communities (not just to invasive aquatics), to support for the work
of the Heritage Programs including inventory work of the Michigan Natural
Features Inventory and to the many programs funded by the Nongame Fish and
Wildlife Trust Fund (now primarily supported via sales of the Critical
Wildlife Habitat license plate) -- among other things.

While some of our concerns can be reached from items that were addressed in
the Agenda, we also think clearer attention to one or two overarching
principles and policies could play a helpful part in guiding the language
of the Land Stewardship and Water Resource Protection sections.

For example, the Forest Policy section misses the pressing policy need to
identify, inventory, protect, monitor and carefully steward the most
valuable among the few areas remaining in our public forests of Michigan
which are old growth stands.

As you know, these areas (though existing in only a few locations on a very
small number of total acres) are key scenic, biological and natural
resources of the people of Michigan.  Yet, there has been resistance to
treating these places in the way they should be:  As treasures.  (If we
don't keep the most complicated, special, diverse, mature, richest of our
resources for future generations, are we not removing from ourselves and
our children doorways to understanding how the natural world works?  Is
there anyone who thinks we already know everything about nature and so
don't need the keep best of it around any more?  Do we really expect
Michigan to remain an appealing place to live if most of "nature" is
reduced to old fields, pioneer woods, ornamentals, weeds and streams in
culverts?)

The overarching principle is that we truly need to better know what and
where our valuable natural features are, across the State, and
simultaneously build ways minimize our impact upon them, on an ongoing
basis, while we grow and develop.

This is not difficult to do, actually.

We are doing this in many ways in many places, obvious in some of the
Agenda items.  But we are not doing them nearly broadly nor widely nor
effectively enough.  Focus on the overall character of such efforts could
be strengthened, and show up better in the document.

Chris.

At 10:46 AM 11/5/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Chris-
>I just wondered if your board had made a decision regarding the conservation
>summit document? thanks.
>
> > At 11:02 AM 11/2/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Hello Chris-
> > >
> > >By now you should have received the hard copy of the Conservation Summit
> > >agenda.
> > >
> > >Do you know if your group has decided to sign on? Thanks!
> > >
> > >--
> > >Michele Scarborough
> > >Member Services Director
> > >Michigan Environmental Council