E-M:/ Bonior and Perrier

Title: Bonior and Perrier

BONIOR CALLS ON ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS TO STUDY PERRIER PLANT IN MECOSTA COUNTY

"I am deeply concerned this project may constitute an unauthorized diversion."-David E. Bonior.

        Democratic Whip David Bonior has called on the Army Corps of Engineers to study the impact of the Perrier bottling project in Mecosta County.

        In a letter sent to the Detroit District of the Corps today, Bonior asked the Corps to study whether this diversion of millions of gallons of water "will interfere with the flow of water in the lakes, the survival of wetlands and the health of the Great Lakes basin."

        Bonior believes the bottling facility should be halted until a comprehensive study can be performed by the A rmy Corps of Engineers.

        "This project sets a dangerous precedent," Bonior said. "Having Michigan's freshwater bottled up and shipped out by the hundreds of thousands of gallons is clearly a diversion and we need independent scientists to study the hazards of this ill-conceived project before it's too late."