E-M:/ Marathon Refinery

Last October 18th when I was down in the Detroit area to
watch my daughter compete in equestrian events at
the state fair grounds, during a break in events I
yeilded to my usual compulsion to go tour major air
dischargers in the downriver area.  Almost everytime
I go on such an excursion I see something that is offensive.

On this trip, I saw large amounts of heavy black smoke issuing from
the extreme SW corner of the Marathon Refinery
tank farm next to I-75 and south of the road that
splits the refinery from the tank farm.  Has anyone
else seen this conduct from Marathon on any kind of
repeated basis and does anyone know what is
causing the black smoke.  I was unable to get
a clear view of the location where emissions were noted.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com