E-M:/ Congresswoman Lynn Rivers on "The Politics of Environmental Protection"

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Heise <aheise@orchard.wccnet.org>

Friends,

The fight against terrorism has captured our attention as few things ever
will.  However, you've probably heard rumors of how some elected officials
are taking advantage of world events to justify actions that would
devastate our environment for decades to come. Drilling in the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge is just the tip of the iceberg.

At the Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group meeting on Tuesday, November 20, you
can hear the inside story from our very own U.S. Representative Lynn
Rivers.  She'll speak on "The Politics of Environmental Protection in the
Current Congress."  This event is a unique opportunity to learn about
Congressional actions that could affect the environment.  Representative
Rivers is a terrific speaker; you can count on her to tell it like it is
in unravelling the mysteries of Washington D.C..

We invite you to join us on Tuesday, November 20 to meet your
Representative in Washington and hear her views on a wide range of
environmental issues.  The program begins at 7:30 PM and takes place at
the Matthei Botanical Gardens in Ann Arbor (directions below).

We also invite you to stay for our social hour immediately following the
presentation, when you can chat with Lynn and meet others who share your
interests in exploring, enjoying, and protecting nature. Refreshments will
be served, and you can also learn about local Sierra Club activities
including hikes, ski trips, service projects, and a variety of
conservation campaigns.  The holidays are here, so it's a good time to buy
those eye-catching Sierra Club calendars and appointment books and
oh-so-convenient gift cards for Borders Books & Music.  If you want to
help stop sprawl (at no cost to you!) while buying groceries and other
merchandise at the stores where you already shop, we'll have EarthCash
shopping vouchers available.  So don't forget your checkbook.

Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group General Meetings are held on the third
Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthei Botanical Gardens,
located at 1800 N. Dixboro Road (between Geddes and Plymouth Roads, east
of  US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.  Meetings are free and open to the
public.  Newcomers are welcome; no membership is required.

I hope to see you at Tuesday's meeting.  Please feel free to forward
this message to others who might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Co-Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

Events information: (734) 480-7751 *or* www.mirror.org/groups/mi-enviro