Re: E-M:/ who benefits from Michigan farm subsidies?

At 06:14 PM 11/26/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davemec@voyager.net>
>
>Today's Booth Newspapers feature a story by Mike Magner about a study from
>the Environmental Working Group alleging a handful of Michigan farmers are
>reaping disproportionate benefits from farm subsidies when the money would
>be better spent on farm conservation programs.  The Michigan Farm Bureau
>strongly disputes the study.
>
>http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/stories/20011120l1125farmsubsidies
>.frm

I can't get too excited about Michigan Farm Bureau being upset
about anything.   No citizen of Michigan should ever forget
how it was the Farm Bureau Services, a Michigan Farm Bureau
subsidiary, that spread poly-brominated biphenyls (PBBs) into the food
system of our state through their elevator near Battle Creek....
and how they resisted coming to terms with all of the havoc they
caused and the human exposure to PBBs they caused.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com