Re: E-M:/ Sewer Backup Immunity

Enviro-Mich message from Tschfam@aol.com

This is interesting.  We've got billboards on 496 complaining about the amount of sewage in MI rivers and streams and now the Legislature wants to provide immunity for sewage spills.  I did some limited research on this in NC (when their Division of Water Quality decided to extend NPDES permits to cover entire sewer systems rather than just new extensions).  The bottom line was this: it is AMAZING how many fewer spills you get when the municipality is strictly liable for any spills (automatic $5-10K fine) AND liable for clean-up and damages.

So what's the deal here??