E-M:/ Arctic/Energy Rider Blocked in Senate

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Folks,

We were successful in rebuffing another attempt to pass the House Energy
legislation (including arctic drilling) via rider.  The vote was
overwhelmingly against the rider effort.  Thank yous to our Senators Levin
and Stabenow.  Also, thanks to our friends in Labor and the Alaska Coalition
of Michigan and all the groups in the state that continue to work on this
issue.

-Dan

For Immediate Release:
Dec. 3, 2001

Contact:
David Willett, 202-675-6698

              Senate Again Beats Back Inappropriate Amendment

Washington, DC:  The Sierra Club today praised the Senate for voting to
keep inappropriate and irresponsible amendments out of the Railroad
Retirement Bill.  The Senate defeated an attempt by Senate Minority Leader
Trent Lott to attach to the bill controversial House Energy legislation,
which allows for drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and does
not adequately address the need for improved fuel economy standards.

"We're pleased that the Senate has once again acknowledged that this fall
is not the time to rush through controversial energy policies, including
drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge," said Carl Pope, Executive
Director of the Sierra Club. "But it's very unfortunate that there continue
to be Senators who are willing to delay important and unrelated legislation
to further their own irresponsible agenda."

Instead of pursuing a destructive energy policy like the one proposed in
the House energy plan, the Senate can secure our energy future by making
our cars and homes more energy efficient and developing new, clean energy
sources such as solar and wind power.

Americans do not have to sacrifice the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to
reduce our reliance on oil, help our military, or achieve energy security.
The U.S. Geological Survey estimates there's only a six month supply of oil
to be found in the Arctic and even the oil industry admits it will take a
decade to bring that oil on line. And drilling the Arctic Refuge won't make
a dent in our dependence on foreign oil or strengthen our national
security. In fact, oil from the Arctic Refuge would be extremely vulnerable
to terrorist attack.

There are other cheaper, cleaner, safer and more efficient ways to move
toward energy independence. Making cars and trucks go farther on a gallon
of gas is the single biggest step Americans can take to decrease our oil
dependence.

"We hope that the Senate will continue to support protecting the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge and oppose those who would try to take advantage
of our national crisis to push these controversial and irresponsible
policies," Pope said.

                                    ###