Re: E-M:/ Hunting Preserves

Enviro-Mich message from "Pamela Howd" <howdp@michigan.gov>

These "hunting preserves" are covered under Public Act 466, the Animal Industry Act.  These are not "preserves"  or "refuges" but are classified as "farms" or "game ranches."  To view Act 466, click on the following link:  http://www.michiganlegislature.org/law/.   In the box marked "MCL Quick start"  type in Act 466.

I hope this helps.  If anyone needs any additional help, please send me an email or call.

Have a nice day.

Pamela Howd
Environmental Assistance Division
Storage Tank Division Rotator
Phone: 517-373-3359
Environmental Assistance Center:  800-662-9278
Fax:  517-373-3675
E-mail:  howdp@michigan.gov

Environmental Assistance Homepage: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/ead/
Storage Tank Division Homepage: http://www.deq.state.mi.us/std/

Seasons Greetings!

>>> "Aretta Schils" <squaw@provide.net> 12/04/01 10:47PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Aretta Schils" <squaw@provide.net>

I hope this comes under enviro-mich guidelines for posting.

Because of Cabela's existing near us, we have a rash of "hunting preserves"
wanting to cash in on the side business from them.  I don't know why they
would call them preserves when they are actually killing the birds.

For those not acquainted with these, if you want to hunt a pheasant, you
call them, make an appointment and tell them how many birds you want, they
go buy them, bring them to the property and you get to shoot them if you get
them before they get off the property.  If you miss, you are allowed to
track them with your dog but must stay on the "hunting preserve".

We keep getting told that the "preserves" come under the "Right to Farm Act"
and therefore do not have to have local approval.  Could someone out there
please explain how this can possibly fall under the Right to Farm Act?

Thanks
Aretta