E-M:/ Daschle Releases Energy Bill

Enviro-Mich message from "Daniel Farough" <daniel.farough@sierraclub.org>

Senator Daschle release his energy bill today.  Below is the Sierra Club
Press Release on the subject.  The debate between the two plans will have
major implications for Michigan.

-Dan

For Immediate Release
December 5, 2001

Contact:
David Willett, 202-675-6698

           DASCHLE ENERGY BILL STARTS AMERICA ON THE RIGHT PATH

Washington, DC:  The Sierra Club commends Senate Majority Leader Tom
Daschle (D-SD) for crafting an energy bill that -- in stark contrast to the
bill passed by the House -- is based on the premise that the best way to
ensure our energy security is through higher fuel economy standards and
greater use of renewable energy such as wind and solar power.

While the package begins to stake out a path to a safer, more secure energy
future, there is more that must be done and there are elements of the bill
that we urge the Senate to improve.

"House Republicans might think we can meet our energy needs by drilling our
public lands while magically protecting the environment, but this isn't
Harry Potter," said Carl Pope, Executive Director of the Sierra Club.
"Senator Daschle's bill sets the framework for the real-world solutions
that will provide energy while protecting our environment at the same time.

"Senator Daschle recognizes that reducing our oil dependence and improving
energy security can be achieved while protecting our precious public lands,
including the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. The bill also acknowledges
that our energy policy is directly linked to global warming, and addresses
the problem by including provisions that will begin to curb global warming
pollution," Pope continued.

Although details are forthcoming, the bill recognizes that improving fuel
economy is the single most effective step that we can take to reduce our
dependence on oil, save consumers money, and cut global warming pollution.

While the package begins to stake out a path to a safer, cleaner, and
cheaper energy future, there is much more that must be done.  Some of the
toughest decisions remain to be resolved.  For example, still to be
determined are how much fuel economy standards will be raised, and what tax
incentives will be provided for clean energy technology.
This bill is moving in the right direction on renewable energy -- requiring
that 10 percent of our power be generated by renewable energy sources by
the year 2020 -- but more can and must be done.  A goal of 20 percent by
2020 is achievable and needed.

Of concern is that the bill continues to give huge subsidies to the
dangerous nuclear industry.  The Senate must make sure the final bill does
not include subsidies to either the nuclear or coal industries.

"Senator Daschle's bill recognizes that the best way to reduce America's
dependence on oil, coal, and nuclear energy is to reduce demand for them in
the first place," continued Pope. "While the bill is not without its flaws,
it establishes a framework on which America can build a secure energy
future.  We look forward to working with the Senate to deliver on its
promise of an energy future for America that is cleaner, cheaper, safer and
more secure."

###