[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ URGENT FARM BILL ACTION NEEDED
- Subject: E-M:/ URGENT FARM BILL ACTION NEEDED
- From: Patty Cantrell <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:31:57 -0500
- Delivered-To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- List-Name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-To: Patty Cantrell <firstname.lastname@example.org>
PLEASE CALL YET TODAY
The White House today publicly opposed the Democratic Farm Bill proposal
(S.1731) to put a significant amount of federal funding into conservation
and is supporting an amendment by Republicans Cochran (MS) and Roberts
(KS) which takes money out of conservation and directs it toward
While Michigan Senators Carl Levin and Debbie Stabenow are
supportive of the Democratic proposal, your calls today will let them
know you will back them up as they stand up to the pressure.
These conservation farm programs are critical to national
conservation and farmers who wish to steward the land and transition into
providing consumers with fresher, safer food.
Toll free number for the Senate switchboard
If you have time please also call the local offices. You can find how to
reach the senators locally at
Tell them to protect and ensure the conservation gains in S. 1731.
Tell them you want them to fight off agribusiness special interests and
to improve the bill by:
1. Opposing the Cochran-Roberts Amendment
2. Supporting the Durbin Amendment to discourage destruction
pristine wetlands and grasslands
3. Supporting the Wellstone Amendment to limit taxpayer dollars
to factory farms.
4. Support all amendments to improve competition in the
agricultural market place.
For more details on the issues listed see
Patty Cantrell, Editor
MICHIGAN LAND USE INSTITUTE
P.O. Box 228, 845 Michigan Ave.
Benzonia, MI 49616
tel: 231-882-4723 ext. 14