E-M:/ Fwd: NetAction Notes No. 79: Is Your Computer Secure?

Enviro-Mich message from Phil Shepard <shepard@acd.net>

To follow up my last post, here are some basic guidelines on computer
and
internet security for non-profits, taken from a recent Net Action
newsletter:

Audrie Krause wrote:

> Published by NetAction            Issue No. 76               October
22, 2001

> Repost where appropriate. Copyright and subscription info at end of
message.
> * * * * * * *
> In This Issue:
> Cyber Security
> About NetAction Notes

> Cyber Security
>
> Shortly after the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and

> the Pentagon, security experts began predicting a resurgence of
> malicious attacks on the Internet. More recently, an international
> security monitoring group (CERT, the Computer Emergency Response
Team
> Coordination Center) <http://www.cert.org/> warned that Internet
> attacks are expected to double this year. While attacks by malicious

> or politically-motivated hackers have typically been directed at
> corporate and government web sites, any computer connected to the
> Internet is vulnerable. Computers connected through a broadband
> service are especially vulnerable since the connection is always on.

> If you haven't already taken steps to ensure that your computer is
> secure, do it now.
>
> NetAction prepared the following checklist of computer security
> basics for activists and nonprofit organizations:
>
> 1) Virus Protection
>
> New computer viruses are discovered all the time. Installing and
> regularly updating your anti-virus software is essential to
> maintaining the security of your computer files. In recent months,
> countless files have been distributed over the Internet by computers

> infected with the SirCam virus.  See
> <http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-22.html> for more
information

<majordomo@netaction.org>
<majordomo@netaction.org>
> The body of the message should state: <unsubscribe netaction>
>
> NetAction is supported by individual contributions and grants. You
> can make a credit card donation from NetAction's secure server at:
> <https://secure.manymedia.com/netaction/form.html>.
>
> For more information about contributing to NetAction, contact Audrie

> Krause by phone at (415) 775-8674, by E-mail at
> <mailto:audrie@netaction.org>, visit the NetAction Web site at
> <http://www.netaction.org>, or write to:
> NetAction * 601 Van Ness Ave., No. 631 * San Francisco, CA 94102

> Copyright 1996-2001 by NetAction/The Tides Center.  All rights
reserved.
> Material may be reposted or reproduced for non-commercial use
provided
> NetAction is cited as the source.  NetAction is a project of The
Tides

--
Phil Shepard
shepard@acd.net