E-M:/ Urban Sprawl & Public Health - Teleconference - Jan 18

will be offered, with sites here in Michigan.
If your public health department hasn't
signed up, consider calling them to encourage
their participation.   The public is welcome
at most viewing sites.

"Urban Sprawl: What's Health Got to Do With It?"
January 18, 2002
2:00-3:00 pm Eastern

For a paper on this topic see:
http://www.sprawlwatch.org/health.pdf

To reserve space
http://www.publichealthgrandrounds.unc.edu/webreg/sitelist.cfm

For online registration see:
http://PublicHealthGrandRounds.unc.edu/participant.htm

Overview

Urban sprawl impacts land use, transportation, and
social and economic
development, but it also has serious implications for
our health. There is
increasing evidence that the way we design our
communities discourages
physical activity such as walking and cycling,
contributes to air pollution,
and promotes pedestrian injuries and fatalities.

Automobile dependence
contributes to greenhouse gas emissions, and increases
the risk of car
crashes. Runoff due to the absence of vegetation is
polluting our water
systems. And sprawl may threaten mental health and
social capital. Join us
as we discuss these and other health effects and
present the case of

Portland, Oregon, a community that has made great
strides in containing
urban sprawl. We will explore the history of this
issue, our current
situation, and future directions in promoting smart
growth and healthy
communities.