Re: E-M:/ Best Management Practices Again

Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>

It is not fair to confuse septage disposal practices and problems with farm use of manure - these are 2 completely different things.  In the City of Detroit wastewater plant sludges have been incinerated for years - yet complaints about the incinerators abound - so the City has a new plan to convert the sludges to an aggregate and use the excess heat to generate electricity - and everyone complains about the new facility - so let me suggest that everyone take responsibility for their own waste - what would you do with it? Maybe give it to someone else to worry about?

As to the idea that a septage hauler could just dump into a City sewer - how about asking if your community allows that?  Many do not - so if you live in a home with a septic system where will you dump your septage?  To again point to the farmers and connect the septage problem to them is an unfair association - after all who generated the septage - the farmer did not.

There have been problems with septage applications because the septage haulers dump at the wrong time or when the ground is frozen or on ground with too great a slope (creating runoff potential)  MDEQ is understaffed to supervise the septage haulers but that is not a problem caused by the farmers who may allow septage applications - after all where else would you put yours?

>>> "Lynn Livingston" <redwingnut@sprintmail.com> 01/05/02 02:55PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Lynn Livingston" <redwingnut@sprintmail.com>

It has become so bad in Leelanau County that the county has placed a
moratorium on installation of new holding tanks.  I know the price to pump
holding tanks in the county has skyrocketed in the past year.  Most
waterfront lots do not perk, so this is a big concern.  Instead of dumping
the waste on farmers fields, why can't it be deposited in a sewage treatment
facility?  Maybe local governments should have planned ahead to accommodate
the increased human density in rural areas, caused by lack of control of
development and sprawl in some areas.
Lynn