From: "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>
To: <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>; <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>;
<ortpam@mediaone.net>; <redwingnut@sprintmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2002 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Best Management Practices Again

Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>

It is not fair to confuse septage disposal practices and problems with farm
use of manure - these are 2 completely different things.  In the City of
Detroit wastewater plant sludges have been incinerated for years - yet
complaints about the incinerators abound - so the City has a new plan to
convert the sludges to an aggregate and use the excess heat to generate
electricity - and everyone complains about the new facility - so let me
suggest that everyone take responsibility for their own waste - what would
you do with it? Maybe give it to someone else to worry about?

As to the idea that a septage hauler could just dump into a City sewer - how
about asking if your community allows that?  Many do not - so if you live in
a home with a septic system where will you dump your septage?  To again
point to the farmers and connect the septage problem to them is an unfair
association - after all who generated the septage - the farmer did not.

There have been problems with septage applications because the septage
haulers dump at the wrong time or when the ground is frozen or on ground
with too great a slope (creating runoff potential)  MDEQ is understaffed to
supervise the septage haulers but that is not a problem caused by the
farmers who may allow septage applications - after all where else would you
put yours?

>>> "Lynn Livingston" <redwingnut@sprintmail.com> 01/05/02 02:55PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Lynn Livingston" <redwingnut@sprintmail.com>

It has become so bad in Leelanau County that the county has placed a
moratorium on installation of new holding tanks.  I know the price to pump
holding tanks in the county has skyrocketed in the past year.  Most
waterfront lots do not perk, so this is a big concern.  Instead of dumping
the waste on farmers fields, why can't it be deposited in a sewage treatment
facility?  Maybe local governments should have planned ahead to accommodate
the increased human density in rural areas, caused by lack of control of
development and sprawl in some areas.
Lynn