E-M:/ Check out I-73, the incredible shrinking interstate

Enviro-Mich message from Terry Lodge <tjlodge50@yahoo.com>

     Have a look at the graphically "shrinking I-73,"
recently posted to the web by a fellow roadfighter and
I-73 opponent in Virginia. As many of you already
knew, while it was once a "Sault-to-Charleston" dream,
the Michigan portion became a "road to nowhere" - and
not just because the southern terminus would be near
Toledo.

    This 6-state-long boondoggle has nearly
disappeared because of its expense and the lack of a
genuine need for a wholly-new interstate-grade artery
through the affected corridor.

   Hopefully there will soon be a final termination of
plans for I-73 through Virginia, where they are
definitely endangered and North Carolina, where there
is growing opposition.

   Congratulations to all of us. Maybe we can use this
delay reduce our dependence on politically unstable
oil by a resurgence of rail and more efficient
transit.

    www.rev.net/~mebarker/73shrink.htm