E-M:/ "Preaching To The Choir"

Enviro-Mich message from Wjkramarz@aol.com

Here's an excellent essay by Jackie Giuliano on this topic.

-------------------------
"Depression, confusion, and feelings that they are living double lives are
rampant among people who are trying to be socially responsible. Every part of
mainstream society works hard to make them feel alone, outcast, weak, and
wrong. "

Is Preaching to the Choir a Waste of Time?

With the onset of the New Year, it is important to examine and reassess our
activities. After 180 Healing Our World commentaries, it is important for me
to examine what I have been doing for the last five years with these
writings.

A comment from a reader of my weekly thoughts who has enjoyed Healing Our
World recently expressed a concern that helped me focus on why I do what I
do. He feared that I might be "preaching to the choir," a phrase used to
suggest that only those who already hold my views are part of the audience.
This phrase is, I think, an oversimplification. There may not be  nor may
there ever have been  a choir to preach to.

Understanding these social dynamics is important for environmental and social
activists, a people who are challenged every day to promote a viewpoint that
is in direct conflict with the economic motives of Western society.

I personally do not subscribe to the idea that speaking to those agree with
you is somehow a waste of time. That whole concept is based on a fallacious
assumption - that people think all one way and agree with one another on all
things.

Anyone who has had any contact with activists on any issue will have noticed
that among 50 people who are working on an issue, many will have divergent
views on 1) the reasons why they are doing the work, 2) how their beliefs fit
into the matrix of their lives and society, and 3) what they hope the outcome
of their actions will be.

Many will also have divergent views on eating habits, lifestyle choices, and
about what in society needs changing. Some will wear sweatshirts and tennis
shoes and be unaware, or unconcerned, that child labor sweatshops produce
most of the apparel, while others eat no animal products nor do they wear
leather.

I have worked on environmental issues with folks who smoke tobacco, eat meat,
and wear clothing sewn by child labor. I have worked with vegans who couldn't
give a hoot about consumerism. There is no choir on any issue. I don't think
there ever has been.

People opposed to redefining their social and personal values often cling to
familiar ways because they are laboring under some very false assumptions
about their relationships to other people and about the way the world works.

My messages are about challenging the assumptions that we all hold dear and
trying, in a very small way, to provide a foundational framework from which
everyone could proceed. That framework is based on a reverence for life.
Period. End of story. I maintain in all my commentaries that if we all
started from that basic premise, the world would change overnight.

The reader who wrote me about preaching to the choir was also legitimately
concerned that my direct and sometimes harsh reports would not get past the
protective filters and programming of some people. I do not, however, worry
about filters. Filters are part of the human condition. Everybody has filters
based on their upbringing and subsequent assumptions and life experiences.
Filters are the first reaction to anything. Whether that reaction generates
initial agreement or disagreement is irrelevant.

When people have read the commentary, they will have been exposed to the
point of view and it will be present in their minds. If they completely
disagree, they may talk about how bad it was to their friends, not all of
whom will agree with them. The more they talk about it, the more their minds
will have a chance to process it and when they see other information that
corroborates my ideas - which they always will - then they may ultimately
begin questioning their assumptions.

Right wing, conservative, anti-environmental groups will often post my
commentaries at their websites, accompanied with a biting diatribe condemning
my conclusions. They will usually include a link to the original article,
which I think is wonderful! In this way, many thousands of people who would
never have been exposed to those views will have the opportunity to see that
some people believe that there is another way.

For those who have already done some thinking about an issue, the
commentaries may also be of value. Few people have figured out how to be
totally consistent in their lives, nor have they explored the complete
ramifications of the idea that we are all deeply interconnected. Few have
even taken the time to understand what their own personal core values are.

Depression, confusion, and feelings that they are living double lives are
rampant among people who are trying to be socially responsible. Every part of
mainstream society works hard to make them feel alone, outcast, weak, and
wrong.

I hope that by reading my commentaries, such folks will find assistance in 1)
creating consistency in their lives, 2) seeing that it is OK to believe in
what may not be popular, 3) creating ideas about what their core values could
be, 4) seeing that it is OK to be angry when injustice is done, 5) believing
that having a respect for all life is not an extreme point of view, and 6)
believing that their individual voice matters and that millions of people are
trying to do these things every day.

So, with these assumptions about my audience, I feel it is quite acceptable
to be direct and blunt, wherever I can. I have no problem calling crop
dusting bioterrorism or saying that pesticide poisoning is industry and
government sanctioned murder. I firmly believe that the beginning of wisdom
is calling things by their right names.

Other people can be the mediators, the peacemakers, and the arbitrators. I am
not. My messages are strong and reflect the urgency I feel about the
condition of the world and the condition of our own personal values. There
are too many committees, task forces, research studies, and data collection
projects in the world. We just need to stop hurting anyone of any species
NOW.

As always, anyone is welcome to use that delete key or surf to another site.
However, I have found over the years that folks with many different beliefs
and values have found the commentaries of interest, and that the commentaries
have challenged them to think in a way they had not before considered.

Most people have open minds that are searching for answers to the questions
that plague our lives. Less than three percent of the population is motivated
only by greed and selfishness. We only hear about them on the evening news,
instilling a hopelessness that feels overwhelming.

But if we work together to hear the sound of the Earth crying, open our eyes
to the suffering caused by that greed and indifference, and call things by
their right name, then maybe together we can heal our world.

RESOURCES
1. Polish your activist skills with the Protest.net Activist Handbook at:
http://protest.net/activists_handbook/
2. Follow the actions of industry with Corporate Watch at:
http://www.corpwatch.org/
3. Learn about scores of activist opportunities at:
http://www.workingforchange.com/activism/index.cfm
4. Use your dollar as a potent activist tool. Check out Coop America's
Boycott Action News at: http://www.coopamerica.org/boycotts/index.html
5. Keep an eye on the conservative efforts to undo the progress that has been
made from the Conservative Caucus website at: http://www.conservativeusa.org/
6. Stay involved with the organic food movement at:
http://www.purefood.org/index.htm
7. Keep track of corporate abuses through Corporate Watch at:
http://www.corpwatch.org/
8. Make sure the Bush administration doesn't weaken the Environmental
Protection Agency's Environmental Justice program. Watch it at:
http://es.epa.gov/oeca/main/ej/index.html
9. Filter your media intake through Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting at:
http://www.fair.org/
10. Change your food choices with the help of EarthSave at:
http://www.earthsave.org/
11. Find out who your Congressional representatives are and e-mail them.
Demand that they stay strong and work harder to protect our health, the
environment and animal rights. If you know your Zip code, you can find them
at: http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/ziptoit.html
{Jackie Alan Giuliano, Ph.D. is a writer and teacher in Seattle. He can be
found trying to stay optimistic in a world cloaked in suffering. Please send
your thoughts, comments, and visions to him at jackie@healingourworld.com and
visit his website at: http://www.healingourworld.com