E-M:/ ACTION ALERT

Title:

HELP PRESSURE KRAFT TO REMOVE GENETICALLY ENGINEERED INGREDIENTS FROM THEIR PRODUCTS.

DAY OF ACTION: WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6th

Genetically Engineered Food Alert, along with other environmental and food safety activists, are gearing up for a worldwide campaign targeting Kraft Foods to remove genetically engineered ingredients from their products. On February 6th, we will publicly launch our campaign to get Kraft to remove genetically engineered ingredients from their products by holding actions and press events nationwide.

Background on Kraft/Phillip Morris:  Why are you buying your food from a tobacco company? Did you know products such as Shake n Bake, Jello, Maxwell House, Kool Aid, Post Rasin Bran, Miller Beer, and Marlboro cigarettes are all owned by this company? Kraft is aware of the potential health and environmental risks of genetically engineered foods-after StarLink corn (a variety not approved for human consumption by the FDA) was discovered in their products, the company recalled millions of boxes of taco shells and switched to non-genetically engineered white corn in their corn taco products to avoid further contamination. Kraft also has moved to avoid genetically engineered ingredients in their products in Europe, but
continues to use these ingredients in the United States.

So far, actions in more than 25 cities are planned for February 6th. Actions include leafleting, genetically engineered product returns, and press conferences with doctors or children's advocates. GE Food Alert will provide action kits with color flyers, posters, fact sheets, sample press materials, and ideas for taking action to any group that is interested in participating.

If anyone in southeast Michigan Downriver community would like to participate in this action, contact Mary LaFrance mary.lafrance@mindspring.com or 734-282-6935. If you would like to organize an action in your community for organizational packets, contact:

Lisa Archer at Friends of the Earth (GE Food Alert) at 1-877-843-8687 or larcher@foe.org

Lisa Archer
Grassroots Coordinator
Safer Food, Safer Farms Campaign
Friends of the Earth - U.S.
1025 Vermont Ave., NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20005
202-783-7400 x190
fax: 202-783-0444
larcher@foe.org
www.foe.org

Kate Madigan at the State PIRGs at kmadigan@pirg.org or 213-251-3680 x 315

For more info on Sierra Club's campaign, please visit http://www.sierraclub.org/biotech/kraft.asp
Laurel Hopwood, GEC Chair

Genetic Engineering Food Alert is composed of:

Friends of the Earth, Organic Consumers Association, Public InterestResearch Groups, National Environmental Trust, Institute for Agriculture &Trade Policy, Pesticide Action Network North America and the The Center for Food Safety.

A note from Laurel Hopwood of Sierra Club's national committee on genetic engineering:

GEFA has joined Sierra Club, which first targeted Kraft Because we're working together on this campaign, we are encouraging folksto participate and also encourage them to make their Sierra Club affiliation known when they do so.

****TAKE ACTION AND JOIN ONE OF OUR SUPERMARKET TEAMS ON
FEBRUARY 6th 2002