E-M:/ Mitigation of Wetlands

Is there someone out there who can steer me toward information on wetland mitigation.  More specifically, I am interested in knowing what research has been done showing that a "replacement" wetland is a successful project.  How many years before it becomes a truly viable wetland?  How often is the work of the developer who creates such a wetland checked, and verified?  etc.,.
From what I have read and seen, I have yet to see a project that is as convincingly natural as those that were destroyed.  This leads me in the direction of believing that the wetland mitigation procedure should not be allowed.
Delavan Sipes