Re: E-M:/ Mitigation of Wetlands

The MDEQ just finished a study about this, and I think it's on their website (http://www.deq.state.mi.us/lwm/grt_lakes/wetlands/mitstudy.htm).  Also, MEC (www.mecprotects.org) has a good article intheir April 2001 newsletter about the report.
You might try Doug Wilcox, a Wetlands Ecologist at the University of Michigan, who may be able to refer you to some academic studies.

Kris Olsson

Delavan Sipes wrote:

Is there someone out there who can steer me toward information on wetland mitigation.  More specifically, I am interested in knowing what research has been done showing that a "replacement" wetland is a successful project.  How many years before it becomes a truly viable wetland?  How often is the work of the developer who creates such a wetland checked, and verified?  etc.,.From what I have read and seen, I have yet to see a project that is as convincingly natural as those that were destroyed.  This leads me in the direction of believing that the wetland mitigation procedure should not be allowed.Delavan Sipes