E-M:/ Letter to Bush

Because of the importance of this issue, the sponsorship
of this letter by national affiliates of several EM
participants and because Michigan is presently writing
new source review rules at the MDEQ, I'm posting this
letter just sent to G. W. Bush...

American Lung Association * American Public Health Association * Clean Air
Task Force * Clean Water Action * Earthjustice Legal Defense Fund *
Environmental Defense * Izaak Walton League of America * League of
Conservation Voters * National Environmental Trust * National Parks and
Conservation Association * National Wildlife Federation  * Natural
Resources Defense Council * Physicians for Social Responsibility * Sierra
Club *
U.S. Public Interest Research Group

February 1, 2002

The President
The White House
Washington, D.C.  20500

Dear Mr. President:

We, the undersigned leaders of 15 of the nation’s leading public health,
environmental and environmental justice organizations, representing
millions of Americans, are deeply troubled by reports that your
administration is preparing to issue regulatory changes that will weaken
one of the most important aspects of our Clean Air Act, the New Source
Review program.  News accounts from the last few weeks raise the threat of
the most serious administrative rollback of the Clean Air Act’s protections
in its 30-year history.  We are writing to urge you to put the health of
America’s citizens and our environment first, by directing your agencies to
drop any regulatory effort that would allow more pollution from any
industrial facility than would be allowed under current law.  In addition,
we urge you to direct the Environmental Protection Agency to provide an
opportunity for public comment on the specific measures that EPA plans to
adopt.

Despite progress in reducing smog and soot over the past 3 decades, air
pollution still plagues our nation. More than 120 million Americans still
live in areas where smog levels are high enough to adversely impact public
health, causing an estimated 6 million smog-induced asthma attacks per
year.  Soot from the smokestacks of power plants alone has been linked to
the early deaths of an estimated 30,000 Americans each year.  While
compromising our health, these same pollutants wreak havoc on our
environment - causing acid rain that is destroying lakes and forests
throughout the east, and clouding the scenic vistas in our national parks
and wilderness areas.

The New Source Review (NSR) program is one of our most important tools for
achieving clean air.  The NSR Background Paper released last fall by the
U.S. EPA found that the NSR program has been successful in reducing air
pollution by 1.4 million tons per year in clean air attainment areas alone.
Indeed, the NSR program uniquely functions to protect the scenic vistas and
precious ecosystems in our premier national parks from the adverse effects
of new air pollution.  In addition, the pending enforcement actions against
power plants and oil refineries that have been charged with violating the
NSR rules stand to achieve dramatic reductions in pollution from existing
facilities across the nation.  In fact, just last week the Department of
Justice signed a settlement of one such action, which will result in 54,000
tons less pollution from two New Jersey plants annually.

The measures your Administration is considering would all but eliminate the
NSR program for existing sources, and would allow dramatic increases in
pollution from power plants, refineries and other industrial
facilities.  Reportedly, the proposed “reforms” would result in as many as
nine new loopholes in the program, any one of which would result in more
air pollution, and collectively result in a scenario under which the NSR
program would virtually never apply to an existing source. For example, we
understand that EPA may allow industrial polluters to claim that their
current actual emissions are represented by higher pollution levels
occurring as long as ten years ago, allowing sources to escape pollution
controls unless they increase pollution above these, inflated pollution
levels.  We also understand that EPA plans to re-define physical or
operational changes that significantly increase pollution to be exempt from
modern pollution controls, including changes that require clean-up under
current law and that have prompted long overdue EPA and state enforcement
cases.

We are equally troubled by the reports that your administration has
developed its NSR package in collaboration with industry, while largely
excluding a broader set of stakeholders from the process.  None of our
organizations, many of which have been active on this issue for years, have
been briefed on the details of the package of regulatory changes.  We are
not the only ones who have been left out.  The Attorneys General of New
York, Connecticut and several other Northeast states have made the same
complaint, as have the State and Territorial Air Pollution Program
Administrators and the Association of Local Air Pollution Control Officials
(STAPPA/ALAPCO), a coalition representing the people who implement the NSR
program at the state and local levels.  We echo STAPPA and ALAPCO’s request
in their letter to Administrator Whitman of January 23, that the
Administration convene a broad stakeholder meeting on this issue before
moving forward with any NSR changes.  Further, we urge you to allow for
public comment on the specific, concrete measures EPA plans to adopt.

Finally, we take little comfort from reports that the Administration may
couple this regulatory rollback of our clean air protections with a set of
legislative principles placing “caps” on emissions of certain pollutants
from the nation’s power companies:
Ø       First, these caps would not require any emission reductions from
refineries or other industrial facilities, approximately 17,000 of which
could increase emissions as a result of your regulatory rollback.
Ø       Second, you have made it clear that these caps will not include
carbon dioxide, the leading cause of global warming.  Multi-pollutant
legislation without a strong carbon cap would require hundreds of millions
of dollars in pollution control investment that could become stranded by
the inevitable later obligation to reduce carbon.
Ø       Third, we strongly believe that static pollution caps do not
adequately protect public health from pollution increases in local
communities. A strong NSR program is needed as a backstop to ensure that
local air quality, public health, and the national parks are
protected.   Congress and your father’s administration grappled with this
issue in the 1990 Acid Rain program and decided that pollution caps should
be added to the current Clean Air Act, not take the place of it.  You
should make the same decision here and preserve a strong NSR program.
Ø       Last, hypothetical emission reductions from a legislative proposal
that may never pass cannot reasonably be considered a fair trade for the
pollution increases that would certainly and immediately result from the
regulatory changes to the NSR program.

Again, we request a meeting with members of your cabinet to receive
detailed information regarding any regulatory action being contemplated
that would impact the nation’s air quality.  Please pause to consider the
consequences for the millions of Americans who suffer from asthma, or other
heart and lung diseases, or whose livelihood depends upon travelers seeking
scenic vistas.  Don’t set the nation on a course toward dirty air.

Sincerely,

John Kirkwood
President and CEO
American Lung Association

Mohammad Akhter, MD, MPH
Executive Director
American Public Health Association

Armond Cohen
Executive Director
Clean Air Task Force

David Zwick
Executive Director
Clean Water Action
Vawter Parker
Executive Director
Earthjustice Legal Defense Fund

Fred Krupp
Executive Director
Environmental Defense

Paul Hansen
Executive Director
Izaak Walton League of America

Deb Calahan
President
League of Conservation Voters

Phillip E. Clapp
President
National Environmental Trust

Thomas C. Kiernan
President
National Parks and Conservation Assn.

Mark Van Putten
President & CEO
National Wildlife Federation

John Adams
President
Natural Resources Defense Council

Robert K. Musil, Ph.D, MPH
CEO and Executive Director
Physicians for Social Responsibility
Carl Pope
Executive Director
Sierra Club

Gene Karpinski
Executive Director
U. S. Public Interest Research Group

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com