Re: E-M:/ EARTH DAY IS COMING IN APRIL

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@umich.edu>

This is a nice idea, but it would be preferable to plant tree species that
are native to our region, and even better to plant a wide variety of
species, rather than large amounts of one species.  (Massive planting of
American elms along thousands of residential streets hastened the progress
of Dutch elm disease.)  Also, spruce are not very good shade
trees--hardwoods would be better for that purpose.

Anyone want to recommend a source of trees native to Michigan for Earth
Day plantings?

	--Barb Madsen