E-M:/ Detroit incinerator public meeting

A public meeting will be held on Monday Feb.18 at 6 PM at the Third Baptist Church 582 East Ferry in Detroit.  The church is located west of I-75 and east of Woodward.  This meeting is being hosted by State Representative Mary Waters in response to a letter detailing the problems with the MDEQ public hearing on Jan. 30 concerning the renewal of the operating permit for the Detroit incinerator which is the largest in the U.S. and perhaps the world.  The hearing was held with very little notice in a hard to find location eight miles away in Delray.  This was also the night of the snowstorm which made it more difficult to attend.  MDEQ has extended the deadline for comments to Feb. 28,  However, they have refused to schedule another hearing in the neighborhood of the incinerator.  This goes against all environmental justice guidelines.  Rep. Waters has graciously offered to remedy this situation.  She has also invited the MDEQ to attend.  We hope to turn out people from the neighborhood including the Wayne State and cultural center areas.  But this is not just a Detroit problem.  Even though the facility may be in compliance with federal regulations, it is still a major polluter of the entire region.  I will be glad to e-mail a fact sheet or discuss this issue by phone, 313-388-6645  Ed McArdle