From: Merritt Frey [mailto:mkfrey@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 5:07 PM
To:  (tmdl list)

Subject: State poll includes water cleanup

Lake, Snell, Perry and Associates have completed a new poll for the
National Caucus of  Environmental Legislatures.  The poll was conducted
in August 2001 and reached people in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan,
Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin.  The poll focus is on state level
legislative action, so often includes questions about enacting laws.

The poll addresses issues related to those we're wrestling with in the
TMDL world.  (snip.)  For a full (and quite readable) report of their
findings, visit:  http://www.ncel.net/midwestpoll.pdf

A teaser on the findings:

*  When asked if they personal favor or oppose a list of priorities
issues for state legislators, 66 percent of the voters strongly favor
"enacting laws to cleanup water pollution in the Great Lakes and other
waterways." (a tie for #1 with tougher drinking water standards) 91
percent strongly or somewhat favored.

*  When asked to rank priorities for state legislative action, 34
percent said "enacting laws to cleanup water pollution in the Great
Lakes and other waterways" should be one of the biggest priorities and
81 percent said it should be one of the biggest priorities or a high
priority.  (this ranks third behind tougher drinking water standards and
tougher   air and environmental standard to protect children's health.

*  Men believe water cleanup is a higher priority than women!
Really...the study found that 31 percent of women and 38 percent of men
said "enacting laws to cleanup water pollution in the Great Lakes and
other waterways" should be one of the biggest priorities for state
legislators.

*  Urban voters places a higher priority on cleanup than suburban or
rural.
When asked how they thought their state legislator should prioritize a
variety of issues, 42 percent of urban voters, 33 percent of suburban,
and 30 percent of rural voters said "enacting laws to cleanup water
pollution in the Great Lakes and other waterways" should be one of the
biggest priorities.

* And more...go read it.  Lots of pretty charts and food for thought
here.

The report also includes findings on issues like factory farm
regulation, drinking water protections, and other issues we all might
find interesting.

Merritt Frey
Watershed Restoration Program Director
Clean Water Network, Idaho Office
P.O. Box 1904
Boise, ID  83701
p:  208-345-7776
f:  208-344-0344
e:  mkfrey@mindspring.com
web:  www.cwn.org

Clean Water Network listserves are for CWN members only and messages are
intended solely for those environmental activists.

This email was sent to: rita.jack@prodigy.net